October 6, 2009

Discovering the Public Library

We were provided a recommended reading list to prepare for the trip to the Amazon, but instead of looking for used books on the internet I decided I would go to the public library.  It was, I must admit, the first time I had been to the public library since moving to Santa Fe and we always buy our books online or at a bookstore.  In face, I can't really remember ever checking out a book from a library since I was a child - other than research journals in college.  I was not expecting the library to have any of the recommended books since they are not mainstream, especially since one was described as really hard to find.  To my surprise, our public library had ALL of the books I was looking for and they are FREE!  Call me crazy, but why are we all spending a bunch of money purchasing books when our public library gives them to us for free, which saves us money and saves the environment?  Whoever invested the public library is a genius.  What a great concept that anyone in America can access pretty much all the books they would ever want to read - with no regard to their race, income, religion, or gender.  For anyone watching the PBS specials about the National Parks, its a similar concept "For the benefit and enjoyment of the people".  I was so inspired by going to the library, I asked if they accepted book donations and they do!  I'm going to go through all of the those books I've purchased over the years that I've only read once and donate them to the library so lots of other people can read them.  If you're wondering what books I checked out - they are Amazon Beaming and The World is What You Dream It.  They should be great reads and I recommend them for anyone traveling to South America or the rainforest.  You'll get an update soon!   

No comments:

Post a Comment